Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Review: The Mark of Athena

The Mark of Athena
Rick Riordan
Released: October 2, 2012
Published by: Disney Hyperion
 
x Infinity ☺
 
 
It's the review we have all been waiting for: The Mark of Athena, which I also now call: The-Book-That-Killed-My-Soul.
 
Description from Goodreads:
 
Annabeth is terrified. Just when she’s about to be reunited with Percy—after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera—it looks like Camp Jupiter is preparing for war. As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper, and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can’t blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. With its steaming bronze dragon masthead, Leo’s fantastical creation doesn’t appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors from Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.

And that’s only one of her worries. In her pocket Annabeth carries a gift from her mother that came with an unnerving demand: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighed down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find—and close— the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?

Annabeth’s biggest fear, though, is that Percy might have changed. What if he’s now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader, but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.

Narrated by four different demigods, The Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land and sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare. . . .

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. What else can you expect from a Rick Riordan book? It did not disapoint and I could not put it down. I. Flipping. Loved. It. I need my copy back from Magnus ASAP. I have to read this again. And again. And again. Until House of Hades comes out next year. One. Flipping. Year. To. Go. I will not go crazy....I will not go crazy...
 
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
Don't say I never warned you
 
 
 
 

The Reunion. It was PERFECTO. Annabeth saw Percy. Percy gave Annabeth his award-winning smile. Annabeth was like, "Screw the Romans. I am going to hug and kiss my boyfriend." She charged Percy. They kissed. (Aaawww!) She threw him over her shoulders. Percy slammed against the ground. Annabeth cried, "Don't you ever leave me again!" (I cried, "DON'T LEAVE HER PERCY! KEEP THEM TOGETHER FOREVER RICK! My mom looked at me all funny). The Romans stared in horror. (I laugh). Classic Annabeth. It was just the reunion everybody hoped for and it did not disappoint. Our favorite couple was together again.  It only took 3 years.

The Romans. They were nice. Then they were bad. Now, I feel like I need to kick some Roman butt. STAY AWAY FROM CAMP HALF-BLOOD. If they hurt my camp, I am going to be seriously pissed off. And Octavian, I am so glad Percy threw you off the ladder. I wish it did some serious damage. You are such a sick soul. Cutting up teddy bears? You disgust me.

The Seven Demigods. I was so glad that everybody mostly got along. Sure, there was times when there was tension between people, but nobody flat out hated anybody. Thank the gods for that! There was an awkward mini love triangle between Leo, Hazel, and Frank. But it didn't bug me because Leo stood no chance against Frank (Which you know, I really do like Leo and Hazel as a couple. Leo needs a girlfriend. I feel bad for him. He is like a 7th wheel. He only has Festus :( Leo, I feel like you need a hug!) But Frank and Hazel are good for each other. Jason and Piper are perfect for each other also (Sorry to all you Jason/Renya shippers). I love how clueless Jason could be sometimes when he would mention stuff about Renya and Piper would be jealous. And of course, Annabeth and Percy are the best couple in the whole stinking book. Also, there was the major quest: head to Rome, but also, there was a lot of mini quests. Hazel and Leo tricked Narcissius. Percy and Frank visited an aquarium. Annabeth, Hazel, and Piper have a nice long chat with Aphrodite/Venus. Jason, Piper, and Percy battled crazy nymphs that trapped them in a well. Leo, Frank, and Hazel went on an adventure underneath Rome. Annabeth and Percy went on a date in Rome. Then there is Annabeth's solo quest.
 
The Mark of Athena. Let's give Annabeth a big round of applause. She had to go on this dangerous quest her crazy mother gave her, which nobody had ever survived. She knew that there was huge chance that she would die and yet she still went. You go, girl! I have a lot of respect for you. She had to trick these crazy ghosts, walk around this underground Roman labyrinth (Not that she hasn't been in a labyrinth before) with a broken ankle, and face her biggest fear: Arachne, the Mother of all Spiders. Holy crap! I would have easily died or chickened out. I am so so so proud of her. No wonder she is my ultimate favorite character ever. The best part? She succeeds. Then I read the ending.
My friend, Courtney, spoiled it for me. Here is what happened:
 
Courtney: Hey, whatcha reading?
 
Me: Only the best book ever! The Mark of Athena. I have been waiting a year for this!
 
Courtney: Awesome! Is that a glossary?
 
Me: Yeah. I cannot pronounce half the names, let alone keep who's who is straight. But I have to be careful, the book ends, then the glossary picks up.
 
Courtney: Can I see?
 
Me: Sure, just be careful! I had to go to 3 different stores to find that book.
 
Courtney: *Reading*
Who's Percy?
 
Me: Only the best darn character since Will Herondale. Son of Poseidon. Amazing.
 
Courtney: Sounds like a cool dude. And Annabeth?
 
Me: Only my favorite character in the whole series. Daughter of Athena. Blonde. Extremely smart. Dating Percy. They make the cutest couple ever.
 
Courtney: Aaaww! Sweet. Now what is Tartar Sauce?
 
Me: Tartar Sauce? What the heck?
 
Courtney: Tartar Sauce! Something about them being in Tartar Sauce? I know Percy is the son of Poseidon. Why is he swimming in Tartar Sauce?
 
Me: *Furious*
Do. You. Mean. Tartarus? As in the deepest part of Hell?
 
Courtney: Yeah! That's what Admiral Leo said!
 
Me: ARE YOU FLIPPING KIDDING ME? YOU JUST SPOILED THE WHOLE BOOK! MY FAVORITE COUPLE IS IN HELL! WITH MONSTERS THAT THEY HAVE KILLED! THEY ARE GOING TO DIE! DON'T YOU SEE I AM ONLY HALFWAY THROUGH? I HAVE NOT GOTTEN TO THAT PART YET. #$#(*$&@W#($(*E#W& WHY DID YOU TELL ME?
 
Courtney: Why did you ask?
 
Me: You better run. Run as fast and far away as you can. I am pissed!
 
Courtney: Oh crap. I am glad the teacher is in the room.
 
Wasn't that just enlightening?
 
The Rickhanger. Okay. When Rick Riordan warned us that we have not seen the cliffhanger, he was so right. The endings to The Lost Hero and The Son of Neptune seem like babies compared to this hellhound of all Rickhangers. Seriously. The guy literally took a shotgun, blew out my heart, and tossed it into the bowels of hell along with Percy and Annabeth. WHY RICK WHY? HAVEN'T YOU DONE ENOUGH TO US? WHAT DID WE DO TO DESERVE THIS? I bawled. I bawled like a freaking baby and I still knew what was going to happen. Buffy bawled. We both bawled together over Skype. Why can't Percy and Annabeth just get a flipping break? Wasn't one prophecy enough? They were just reunited with each other. They were happy. Throw Frank and Hazel into the pit. Throw Jason and Piper into the pit. Heck, throw Leo, Coach Hedge, and Nico into the pit (Nico can even show them around). Why these two? Why our beloved characters? I just lost my little hold on sanity. Rick Riordan, you are an evil mastermind. You deserve an award for "Most Heartbreaking Ending since Until I Die". Congradulations.
 
And Percy and Annabeth held hands as they fell into hell. ROTFITFPSLAB. Rolling on the floor in the fetal position, sobbing like a baby. That was when I lost it. You guys, you need to live. You can make it. I have hope for you. If not, all of the fandom will show up at Rick Riordan's home demanding that he change the ending. They. Will. Live.
 
Percy. Annabeth. May the Gods be ever in your favor.
 
 
 
 
END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS

 
People, READ THIS BOOK. This has become my favorite Heroes book and you will not be disappointed by it. As you read, you will feel as if you are alongside the Seven as they face their impossible quest. But be warned, keep a box of tissues next to you as you read the last chapter. It will kill you. Trust me.
 
How many more days until House of Hades?

 
Review by Calypso
follow on Twitter: @bookworms4vt

1 comment:

  1. any percabeth fan should have a sound idea (assuming he/she haven't finished it yet) how the book is or how it ends in a cliffhanger,so i guess there is no point in writing about those things. i will write how i felt about the book instead.
    first thing first, i was finally happy to see percabeth together a long time after the LO. and not to brag,was happy that they were rendered as adult enough to have numerous lip-locks and 'quality-time-together' literally. being a grown up fan of percabeth i sure enjoyed their intimacy. anymore that whats already in the book might had given the book a PG-18 tag !
    next,the book once again is packed with solid storyline,enthralling descriptions and cliffhanger ending (i hated that part! ) - typical Rick.
    the next thing i liked most was witty Leo Valdez... Rick amazed me with his changes in writing style specifically adopted for each character.. 'nuff said,he is RICK after all :D
    so, a solid installment in the percy jackson(HoO) series. Must read!

    ReplyDelete

Just please keep these comments polite to others.