Monday, December 10, 2012

Review: Unspoken

Unspoken
Sarah Rees Brennan
Published: September 11, 2012
Released by: Random House Books for Young Readers

 
Description from Goodreads:
 
Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?
 
It did not take me long to lose the battle I fought against this book. Here I was a few weeks after the release telling myself that I would not read it until all three were out. I saw the tweets to Sarah Rees Brennan complaining about the cliffhanger. I knew it would kill me. But there I was, two weeks ago at our small, Vermont library, putting away the children books for the librarian when I spotted it. It was gorgeous, sitting on top the many shelves lining the wall. A battle was fought and I lost, taking it out and finishing it later Thanksgiving night (which was the next day).
 
And oh my God, it was amazing! Perfect pacing, awesome characters, and everything you want in a book. It was a smooth read and I pretty much read from cover to cover. Kami, Jared, Holly, Angela, Ash, are all awesome characters and have great chemistry together. I just adore Kami. She is my all time favorite heroine ever. Angela is probably the most laziest person ever; Rusty is the only one who rivals her. Holly is just so sweet! Love her. Jared, oh Jared. Love him. Ash...Well...I guess I just put up with Ash. I don't hate him; I don't love him.
 
That ending! God, I now know what everyone was talking about. Finishing this was another good punch in the feels. After The Mark of Athena and Deity, I thought, "What's one more cliffhanger?" Yeah. No. Why do I do this to myself? I think I enjoy causing myself pain. I really want to give Kami a hug now. Poor, poor Kami. Hopefully everything will be better for you in the second one. I pray. I hope. Yeah. Hope sounds more like it.
 
Also, I love reading Sarah Rees Brennan's, Holly Black's, and Cassandra Clare's books. It's fun searching for the references of each other's books. Like in this one: a character named Holly. Holly Black. Oh I see what ya did there ;) And also, the password for the computer? cassie41 (or something like that). I squealed and scared the crap out of my little six year old cousin who was watching TV. He shot me an annoyed glare, told me to shut up, and continued to watch Spongebob, pissed that I distracted him from his favorite TV show. *Rolls eyes* Six year olds. Let me enjoy my fangirling. Seriously.
 
So I highly recommend this book if you are ready for a good depressing cliffhanger to add to your list of horrible cliffhangers '12. Hahaha. Nah. But read this book. It's really good, unique, and will have you addicted from the very first page. If you are into detective novels with a paranormal twist, try this book. It will not disappoint.
 
Review by Calypso
follow on Twitter:
@bookworms4vt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just please keep these comments polite to others.