Sunday, January 20, 2013

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Michelle Hodkin
Released: September 27, 2011
Published by: Simon and Schuster
Description from Goodreads:

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

She’s wrong.

So...Happy belated New Years! With all of my mid-terms finally finished and over with (AP Euro, you are the bane of my existence) I can finally get back to the poor blog I have been neglecting. I read this a looonnnggg time ago, like last year long time ago. BUT I LOVE IT. 

Plot. Love. Never bored and was instantly hooked. This was one book that kept me constantly guessing and I was going nuts trying to figure out what the heck was going on with Mara. I really need to buy the second one ASAP. 

Characters. Well, hello Noah! He has become one of my top ten favorite fictional, sarcastic British guys, directly behind Mr. William Herondale! Love him sososososososo much. I really want to give Mara a hug. Poor girl! She is just so awesome and I love her! She is one of the rare heroines that did not drive me absolutely crazy. I did not yell at her once. 

The Cover. I'm just going to say that I LOVE the cover. It was the only reason why I gave the book a chance. I'm really glad I loved the book. But at my lunch table, we had the cover controversy, which leads me to suspect that my friends are positively nuts. 

COURTNEY: What the heck are you reading now?

ME: Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. It is fabulous.

JONNA: What is going on with the cover?

COURTNEY: He's groping her. 

ME: NO HE IS NOT! Read the book, then you will get the cover. 

EMMA: Sam, he is groping her. I'm sorry.

ME: Shut up guys. I never asked for your opinion.  

(I will always stick up for the cover. Plus, her dress is really cute.)

The majority of the peeps on Goodreads love the cover too. My friends are just odd (Though I love you guys!)

My thoughts on the ending:

WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT!?!?!?! HOW COULD MARA!?!?!?! UGH. 

So if you want a truly unique read, I recommend this one. It is amazing and will have you instantly hooked, trying to figure out what the heck is going on with Mara. I highly recommend it and if you won't read it because of the cover, or whatever, than I must question your sanity like I did with my friends. I am going to force them to read it because I know they will love it. 

Review by Sammi
follow on Twitter:
bookworms4vt



No comments:

Post a Comment

Just please keep these comments polite to others.