Sunday, September 30, 2012

Review: Delirium


Delirium
Lauren Oliver
Published by: HarperCollins
Released: August 2, 2011
 
 
Description from Goodreads:
 
Ninety-five days, and then I’ll be safe.
I wonder whether the procedure will hurt.
I want to get it over with.
It’s hard to be patient.
It’s hard not to be afraid while I’m still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn’t touched me yet.
Still, I worry.
They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness.
The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don’t.
 
Let's all start off by saying that I learned my lesson. DO NOT FINISH A BOOK WHILE YOU ARE AT WORK. It will most likely result with your co-workers laughing at you. The ending killed me.
 
I have put off reading this book for a while now because I always thought that I would end up hating it. This comes to show you that I should just read anything and everything because I really did love this book. A lot. It was very amazing ☺ I should really stop judging books.
 
The characters. LOVE THEM. Alex is just amazing as all lead fictional guys are. Lena is one of those rare fictional characters where I don't feel the need to scream at her. Hana is the bestest friend you could ever have (Yes. I did just use bestest). Gracie is probably my favorite character out of the whole book. I want to hug that kid. She just seems so adorable and her devotion to Lena is beautiful. I want to strangle Jenny. I don't like her. I don't like anybody who has been "cured."
 
The "Cured" Ones. They bugged me. A lot. The whole concept of this story is that love is a disease. If you are in love, you are sick. People become "cured" when they turn 18. Sometimes the cure works. Sometimes it doesn't. The "cured" ones really are just turned into lifeless zombies. Lena compares them as to being asleep opposed to "uncured" being awake. This is totally appropiate. They do nothing. They just go day by day doing the same old things. Sometimes they do nothing. To me, being cured sounds really boring and really scary. If I was in this story, I would most likely be thrown into the crypts or escape to the wild. I would not live there.
 
The Plot. It is one of those stories that just keeps you reading. I had a real hard time putting it down. I found myself multitasking a lot. Read a chapter, do a calculus problem. Read a chapter, pin one thing to my Pinterest board. Read one chapter, ignore Buffy on Skype. She really hates it when I do that. I was completely entertained the whole time I was reading it. I never got bored. Also, each chapter started with these little clips from books in their world. Each chapter would start with a selection of The Book of Shhh, telling the effects of deliria. It was cool to get some insight of the worls they lived in.
 
The Ending. I died. I got laughed at by the guys in the deli. All I am saying is that certain character better live or I am seriously going to have a chat with Lauren Oliver on the importance of my sanity. I need to find Pandemonium fast. And totally random, but the ending was EPIC. I loved it, despite it messing with my precious hold on sanity. After this Tuesday (MARK OF ATHENA IS OUT PEOPLE!), I am seriously going to be locked in the loony bin. I don't think I can handle many more cliffhangers. I am going crazy.
 
So I highly recommend this book. It is really different from stories out there. I mean, I would have never thought of viewing love as a disease. It is bloody brilliant (Going all Ron Weasley for a second there...). Go buy this book. Make sure you have your hand on the second one too. These books are amazing.
 
Review by Calypso


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just please keep these comments polite to others.