Monday, September 10, 2012

Review: Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception


 
Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception
Maggie Stiefvater
Published by: Flux
Released: October 8, 2008


Description:

Deirde Monaghan is a talented harpist. But when she meets Luke Dillion at one of her competitions, she never expected the immediate connection between the two of them. She starts seeing faeries and learns of Luke's deadly role in the world of Faerie. Stiefvater weaves a magical tale of romance and magic with modernized Celtic Mythology.

Is that description a tad bit sucky? Well...Yeah. That's why I like to borrow them from Goodreads.

So I mostly gave this book a try because I loved Shiver, Linger, and Forever.

This book was WAY different than I expected.

Pros:

Celtic Mythology. I am a huge mythology fan and I don't know much on Celtic Mythology. I love how Maggie Stiefvater created a story with that mythology in it. I have read about Greek Mythology. I have read about Egyptian Mythology. I have read about Norse Mythology. It was nice to read about a different set of myths I don't know that much about.

The characters. I love how Maggie Stiefvater's characters are really unique compared to your typical YA character. Deirde is not a shy girl. Yes, she is unpopular, but she isn't insanely shy. She is a wickedly talented harpist. Luke is not a sarcastic guy. Yes, he does have his sarcastic moments, but he is not a person who hides behind his sarcasm. He has had a hard past. I just love how different they are from others. Same with Grace and Sam from Shiver and Puck and Sean from The Scorpio Races. They are not part of those stereotypical traits that you come to expect from YA characters.

The writing. The way Maggie Stiefvater writes just sucks me into the novel and next thing I know, it's 1:00 in the morning. Yeah, I was expecting something similar to how she sets up her other novels. But this one wasn't. It just strickly followed Deirde's voice and thoughts. I think this was her first novel, and you can see how her writing has changed from each series. I did not like this story as much as her other ones, but I still like it and want to continue because her writing is just good. Seriously. She is an amazing author.

Cons:

Deirde just immediately trusts Luke. Okay. I am not a huge fan of love at first sight, blah, blah. I always think of the stupidity of Romeo and Juliet. The way Deirde just suddenly throws herself at Luke shocked me and annoyed me. She just barely met the guy and decides that she'll play with him at her competition, that she will trust him, that she is in love with him. I kept thinking: "Uhhh...HELLO? Dee, you just met the guy. YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HIM. Stop it." It was like this whole: "Hey I just met you. And this is crazy. But here's my number. So call me, maybe? AND I FREAKING LOVE YOU!" No. No. No. No. No. No. Know the guy first before you throw yourself at him. Please. Expecially since Luke has a crap load of secrets.

The ending. I was confused. I had to go and re read it before I semi understood what was happening. I was a little baffled. I need to get my hands on Mag's copy of Ballad because this one just ended. No, it wasn't a cliffhanger. It just stopped. I was assuming there was another chapter. There wasn't.

So if you are a huge mythology geek like moi, check this one out if you want something different from Greek/Roman/Egyptian/Norse. Celtic mythology is really interesting. If you are a fan of Maggie Stiefvater books, then yeah, READ IT. She is an amazing author with insane talent. So go buy this book. Heck, go buy all of her books. You will not regret it.

Review by Calypso

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just please keep these comments polite to others.