Monday, September 24, 2012

Review: Fallen


Fallen
Lauren Kate
Published by: Delacorte Press
Released: December 8, 2012
 
 
 
Finally! I have finished one of the many books I am reading. I blame this new magical world I just discovered called BBC America that has these wonderful shows called Doctor Who and Sherlock. I also blame school. Curse you AP Euro...
 
Anyway, I basically forced myself to finish this book, just like I am forcing myself to finish all of the other ones I am currently reading. This happens every year around this time because I know all of my favorites that I am eagerly for are coming out soon (Next is Mark of Athena). Also school. I tend to blame school a lot.
 
So this book wasn't horrible, but it wasn't a favorite either. The story is good and it kept me interested.
 
Pros:
 
Angels. Okay, right now I am going through my angel phase. Two years ago was my vampire phase; last year was my demigod phase (Which I'm still currently in, I guess. Percy Jackson forever!). Anyway, I love stories about angels and this one was different from my expectations. I'll admit, I thought I would be reading something eerily similar to Hush, Hush.  This book threw me a huge curveball. It was so much different than I expected and I like that. I love it when I go into a book expecting something then end up being surprised.
 
It left me guessing. Usually I can pretty much predict the whole story. This one I couldn't and that bugged me so much. Yet, I was really glad there was things I could not guess. I had to skim the ending because I was really curious at how everything would play out. WARNING: Don't skim the ending. You will find out something that you don't want to know. I gave myself a Gibbs Slap DiNozzo would approve of for that big mistake. DON'T SKIM THE ENDING. IT WILL CAUSE HORRIBLE FEELS.
 
Cons:
 
Luce. Luce is one of those characters that drive me absolutely crazy because of their stupid actions. I didn't think anybody could out beat Nora Grey for stupidity, but Luce, I think you may take the prize. Don't get me wrong, I like Luce. But geez, you could only have so many stupid protagonists before I go crazier than I already am. I think stupid girls and angels go hand in hand. But that may just be me. I don't know. I just hoped that Luce would be different.
 
The Love Triangle? The whole attempt at a love triangle was pointless. I hate love triangles and this story would have been fine without it. I'm not even sure if I am able to call it a love triangle since Luce obsessed over Daniel the whole time. I hate love triangles.
 
Boring towards middle. The beginning was good. The ending was good. I was bored in the middle. I think that was what made me take so long to read it, because I just wanted something really big to happen and nothing did. So I was kind of disappointed. But it does pick up towards the end. I know that I am curious enough to continue with them just to see how it all plays out.
 
So all of these books are out, but I don't recommend buying them from the store. I would borrow them from the library or a friend. Or you could buy them all on an eReader. Anyway, they are not on of my favorite series, but they are still a pretty decent read for all fans of angels.
 
Off topic for a second. Can we just look at Penn's full name? Pennyweather Van Syckle Lockwood. Dear God, what did she do to deserve such a horrible name? I am curious at how Lauren Kate came up with this one. It is truly the most unique fictional name I have heard. Congrats Peeta, somebody beat you in the most creative name department.
 
 
Review by Calypso


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just please keep these comments polite to others.