Monday, August 20, 2012

Just Crazy Ol' Me: The Mortal Instruments


     So instead of drawing fanart of my ultimate favorite books, I go crazy and sew dolls of the main characters. I have always been in love with sewing and books, so I put the two of them together and made my book character dolls.

     My major project for Summer 2012 was to make all of the major characters in The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. My invisible sidekick Magnus got me into the books last summer when she was re-reading City of Fallen Angels for the upteenth time. I guess we both never expected how much I would love these books and yeah, I do love these books, ALL FIVE OF THEM.

So here are the pics I took of all of my Mortal Instruments character dolls, which I happened to finish the day before they started filming the movie!! EEP! Great timing or what?




The Clary doll. I love how she came out. I gave her freckles, ripped tights, everything. She's even shorter than the rest of them! I wish her hair was a little more curly, but sadly yarn doesn't really curl very well. But oh well. Still love her ☺



The Jace doll. Completed with leather jacket and amazing hair. He even has runes, only you can't see them because of the clothes. Sorry! It's hard getting them on and off. The only thing that bugs me is that I think his head is too big. When I complained to my friends, they said he has a big ego anyway and not to worry. Oh well. Love him just the same! ☺




The Simon doll. I just love everything about him! At first, I wasn't sure how I was going make Simon because he really had a basic description in the book: tall, brown eyed, brown hair. I wasn't sure to make him curly or straight, give him fangs or not, ect. Then Simon was cast so I went off of the actor's (Robert Sheenan) appearance. And I'm so glad I did! I love Simon's curly hair fro. It was such a pain to do and took nearly 5 episodes of Doctor Who to complete, but in the end, it turned out so amazing, I was glad I did it. I also tried to find my favorite Simon tee shirt from the books, but my friends were borrowing all of them, so I only had my Infernal Devices books and they were not helpful. So I went with the classic "Sexy Vampire Mojo" and love it. ☺



The Isabelle doll. I love the outfit I made her. The runes took a lot of time to do because Izzy had the most sewn on. I knew she would have more skin (felt?) showing, so she had every rune except the Fearless one put on and they came out really well. I also gave her the golden whip and ruby necklace. She looks really short here (that's because they can barely stand by themselves so the legs look like stumps when they are really in proportion) but she is the tallest because "nothing less than seven inches." ☺

Now time for my two personal favorite dolls:



The Alec doll. I just love this one so much! Alec and Magnus are my two favorite characters in the books, so these two just happen to be my favorite. I even gave Alec the blue scarf mentioned in City of Lost Souls. And I just realized that his shirt matches his eyes. Haha. That is just awesome. ☺ 



The Magnus doll. So Magnus was the first one I made out of the whole TMI gang. I made him before Godfrey Gao was cast as Magnus so I made him according to how I picture him in my mind. And this is pretty much a close image of him. Buffy and I call his hair "Sexy Asian Hair" and yeah, that took a long time to do/think off. And I'm so happy it turned out amazing! I was going to try going all out on his clothes, but decided on simplier style because I knew that I was making five more dolls after him. ☺

So here are just some more pics of the gang. These are not the first character dolls I have made, they are just the ones that have the most details put into their description. I'll post pics of the other character dolls eventually!











~Caly





1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is sooo amazing! How about team bad??? Yey!!! Two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete

Just please keep these comments polite to others.