Monday, August 6, 2012

Review: Hourglass


Hourglass
Myra McEntire
Published by: Egmont USA
Released: June 14, 2011


Description from Goodreads:


One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

This is the first story I have read the revolved around time travel. I know, shoot me. Why didn't I get into time traveling books earlier? I actually love them. The only other closest thing to time travel that I like is Doctor Who. That's about it. Never read anything on time travel before. Unless you count Hermione and her time turner.

I love Emerson's name. It's so unique. I just finished reading Pushing the Limits beforehand and Echo's last name was Emerson. So it was like a little connection between the two very different books. It's just such a cool name. Same with Em's sister-in-law, Dru's, name. I love them!

Okay. I really don't have any complaints about this book. I basically read it cover to cover. It's very rare for me to find a story that completely sucks me in so that it's the only thing on my mind. This one was definitely one of those rare finds. I was thinking it would just be one of those other books where I would like the over all story, but contain so many stupid errors that it would annoy the crap out of me. Nope. No complaints at all. I salute you Myra McEntire. Good job. I really want the rest of these books now. Why did I never buy the second one when I was at Barnes and Noble on Friday? Seriously kicking myself in the butt now.

What I did like about the book:

Emerson's relationship with her brother, Thomas, and his wife, Dru. They had a really good relationship with each other. It's sweet, loving. You would think Dru would be pissy dealing with Thomas's possibly crazy younger sister. She actually treats Em like a daughter. I love that. Thomas cares so much for Em, making sure she gets the best of the best for her crazy visions. He constantly worries about her. He's like the perfect older brother.

Michael. He's a gentleman, a follower of the rules (Well...kind of), caring. I can finally say that I have read about a fictional guy who isn't sarcastic. Well...There is Jem. But that is probably it. Okay, I'll bite. Vincent too. I need to stop thinking of more guys. Don't look at the bookshelf, Caly. REFUSE TO LOOK AT THE BOOKSHELF. Okay. Back on topic. I like Michael. He is different from your typical fictional love interest and it was nice to get a break from it.

There was a big twist involving a character that I never saw. Wow. It is really hard to surprise me because I have read it all, seen it all. This one threw me a curveball that had me screaming "OMG! I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING!" and a bunch of people staring at me at the lake. Oops. I really should read in the privacy in my home. I seriously thought that this one character was a good person. Nope. Not at all. I feel sad now because I really liked that character. I blame the fictional gods above. They can never let me like a character.

I was crying at one part. Then I remembered: They can time travel, duh. Must be handy to go back in time to prevent death. Who cares about the consequences? I certainly don't as long as you bring that darn character back from the dead. I admit, I skimmed ahead to make sure they came back. THEY DID! Yay!

So I highly recomend this book if you are a fan of time travel. Then again, it is the only book I have read on time travel...But you should still read it. It's rare for a book to not piss the living crap out of me. This is one of them. So that upon itself should be a reason to buy/read the book. You will not regret it. That and it has some really cool names. I just love the name Emerson right now. Okay. Going all weirdo right now. Just buy the book!


Review by Calypso


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just please keep these comments polite to others.