Sunday, July 29, 2012

Review: Crescendo


Crescendo
Becca Fitzpatrick
Published by: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Released: October 19, 2010


My review on Hush, Hush:

Magnus' review on Hush, Hush:

Description from Goodreads:

Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect. Surviving an attempt on her life wasn't pleasant, but at least she got a guardian angel out of it. A mysterious, magnetic, gorgeous guardian angel. But, despite his role in her life, Patch has been acting anything but angelic. He's more elusive than ever (if that's possible) and what's worse, he seems to be spending time with Nora's arch-enemy, Marcie Millar.

Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who has moved back to town, if Patch hadn't been acting so distant. Even with Scott's totally infuriating attitude, Nora finds herself drawn to him - despite her lingering feeling that he's hiding something.

If that weren't enough, Nora is haunted by images of her murdered father, and comes to question whether her Nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death. Desperate to figure out what happened, she puts herself in increasingly dangerous situations to get the answer. But maybe some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything - and everyone - she trusts.

I could not put this book down. I am officially in love with these books. I cannot see why Magnus is not a huge fan, or anybody else for that matter. They are so enticing to read and just keep me entertained and anxious for the next page. I was not constantly bored with the story. I literally almost read it cover to cover.

I even found myself holding my breath and yelling at it. I think my mom is seriously debating whether or not to send me to a mental institution soon. I have become way to dedicated to yet another book series. Pretty soon, Mom is going to forbid me to buy any more books. I have become personally attached to the Hush, Hush books. I am seriously kicking myself in the butt for not picking these up sooner. Why did I have to go and put it off? Why did I never discover these books earlier in my life?

Anywho...Back to the story.

The pacing was perfect. I was never bored in this story. It kept me hooked and entertained the whole way through. I couldn't turn the page fast enough. It was that amazing.

I have only one complaint. Patch was not in the story enough. I freaking love this guy and he was absent and/or fighting with Nora for half of it. It drove me crazy! I kept wanting him to show up and take Nora into his arms. But instead, he didn't. Or Nora was to busy yelling at him. I had to force myself not to skim read ahead and make sure he was showing up. It was hard, but I managed to read without skimming. I am so proud of myself. That seriously took a lot of will power from moi. Instead, Scott shows up.

It really wasn't a true love triangle. Thank the almight lord. It was more of Nora just trying to get back at Patch, which also really bugged me. I guess that makes it two complaints then. She doubted Patch's love for her, became basically a jealous witch, and became very reckless and stupid. I had a harder time connecting to her in this one than I did with Hush, Hush. In the first one, I kind of understood why she did things the way she did. In this one, I felt myself thinking: "Why on God's green earth would you do that Nora? Are you really that stupid?" I really wished she would have just gotten over that stupid jealousy/unease of the guy and took him back. It would have made me much happier (and probably her too...)

The characters. Vee is perfect, per usual. She is still the bestest friend you could ever hope for. Patch wasn't in the novel nearly as much as I wanted him too, but I still love him all the same. If possible, he became even more sweeter and protective in this book than the first. Totally swooning like a fangirl right now. Then there's Scott. I have mixed feelings for the guy that Nora used. I can't decide if I like him or hate him. I'm going to let the third book help me with that. Nora annoyed me, but I still love her all the same. I felt the need to strangle her more in this one than the first. But it all plays out in the end I guess.

Then there's Rixon. I feel like crying everytime I think his name. *SPOILERS* I really wished he wasn't the bad guy. Then again...I'm glad it was rather him who was the bad guy than Patch. But still! It killed me when I learned he was the one who killed Nora's 'father' and then went and attempted to kill her. I really liked the guy! Now he is in Hell. Oh darn. *END OF SPOILERS*

The book surprised the crap out of me. I am usually able to predict 95% of what happens in a story. Oh he is the brother? Yup. He's the one behind the whole con. That guy is going to end up with her...no exceptions. Ah ha! Told you it was your bestie the whole time. Not the one who you absolutely hated. I blame my addiction to crime shows. This book gives you a really big twist. One that even I would have never guessed because I did not see it coming. I was like "Wow. Kuddos Becca Fitzpatrick for shocking me. You are totally amazing." If you have read the book, you probably know what twist I'm talking about. I'm not even going to put it down with my "Spoilers" warning. Nobody wants this ruined. Period.

It's a flipping Cliffhanger. *Sigh* WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?! AAAWWW!!!! I am tearing my hair out. Oh. Wait. Wait a second. What is this? Oh that's right...I HAVE BOOK THREE RIGHT NEXT TO ME!! YIPPEE!! hahahaha. You really need the third one by your side as soon as you finish this one. Don't go crazy while you wait for it. GET IT WHEN YOU READ THIS ONE. The ending will probably kill you. It's bugging me right now as I write this review. I need book three like I need air and water. That desperate? Yup.

So if you are a fan of Angels, sexy dark guys, a really big twist, TRY THIS BOOK. Buy the first one. Buy this one. GO PICK UP THE THIRD ONE. Wait until October 23, 2012 for the last one -_- Seriously, these books are really tantalizing and will have you reading cover to cover. They have quickly become one of my top ten favorites and I really want to go buy my own copies instead of borrowing from friends.

I just suddenly realize I have to wait until October 23 for the last book. *SOB* Why do authors do this to us?


Review by Calypso


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just please keep these comments polite to others.