Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Review: Silence


Silence
Becca Fitzpatrick
Published by: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Released: October 4, 2011

Magnus' Review of Hush, Hush:

My review of Hush, Hush:

My review of Crescendo:


Description from Goodreads:



WHEN SILENCE IS ALL THAT'S LEFT, CAN THE TRUTH FINALLY BE HEARD?

Nora Grey can't remember the past five month of her life. After the initial shock of waking up in a cemetery and being told that she has been missing for weeks - with no one knowing where she was or who she was with - she tried to get her life back on track. Go to school, hang out with her best friend, Vee, and dodge mom's creepy new boyfriend.

But there is this voice in the back of her head, an idea that she can almost reach out and touch. Visions of angel wings and unearthly creatures that have nothing to do with the life she knows.

And this unshakable feeling that a part of her is missing.

Then Nora crosses paths with a sexy stranger, whom she feels a mesmerizing connection to. He seems to hold all the answers...and her heart. Every minute she spends with him grows more and more intense until she realizes she could be falling in love. Again.

I read this book in one day. Surprising really, because I was busy all day with our school's China visit. I just breezed right through it, not able to put it down. Even though it drove me absoultely crazy (Just ask my lil' sis-that-really-isn't-my-sis Jonnadore. Long story on nickname...I drove her crazy just talking about the book) it is probably one of my favorite stories that I have read so far this year. It was actually published last October and I am really kicking myself for waiting so long to actually read these. Last year, I remember picking this up and thinking: "Nope. Angels are not my thing." Now I feel really idiotic and stupid. Why didn't I read these sooner!?!?

There was one thing that annoyed the crap out of me. Nora lost her memories of everything that had occurred since the beginning of the books. Fallen Angels? Nope. Nephilim? Gone. Patch? WWWHHHYYY?? HOW CAN YOU FORGET PATCH?? I guess that's what bugged me the most...If you couldn't tell. It was a major case of dramatic irony. We know what happened. We know that those guys are bad. We know that Jev is actually Patch's real name (That's why it suddenly appears in Crescendo. The light bulb has gone off!). It just annoyed me because Nora did not know anything. I don't know how many times I mentally screamed at her and then actually screamed when I was in the safety of my private home.

Otherwise, the book was just amazing. It was one of those books where you just have to keep on reading until you reach the acknowledgements. When you are not reading it, you are thinking about it, wondering what the heck is going to happen in further pages. I was never bored with it, annoyed yes, but never bored. It flowed really nice and always kept me guessing despite the fact that Nora had amnesia.

Three books in and I still cannot connect to Nora. She does so many stupid things, it just pisses me off so much. I'm basically just reading this book because of Patch and Vee. I was surprised that even those two bugged me. Patch kept wanting to keep Nora in the dark, going by his actual name Jev for half the book. Vee lied about Patch and never bother to bring Nora fully up to speed, only telling her what she wanted to. If I went through something like Nora did, I would want my best friend to tell me the truth and all of it. I was glad when Nora got pissed off at them and yelled at them. They really deserved it. I just wish Nora wouldn't do stupid things. If Patch says to stay inside, she should really stay inside and not leave. Bad things would happen! But then again, what YA fictional character these days doesn't follow orders and does their own thing? I guess I should probably lay off her.

Now I just have to wait until October 23 for Finale (The last one. Creative name!) I really need to own my own copies of these books. I love them so much. If you like Angels, A plot that has some twists and turns, or are a fan of amnesia...Haha. Just kidding. Read these! Hush, Hush is the first. Crescendo, second. Silence, third. And lastly Finale in October. READ THESE!! They are perfect and amazing!

Review by Caly



No comments:

Post a Comment

Just please keep these comments polite to others.