Friday, July 13, 2012

Review: Shadows



Shadows
(Lux Novel 0.5)

Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published as ebook by: Entangled Publishing
Released: February 21, 2012

So Shadows takes place before the events in the first book, Obsidian. It's the story on how Dawson and Bethany come to disappear before Katy moves to West Virginia. So Bethany Williams moves to the middle of nowhere West Virginia in order to stay close to her uncle who is dying of cancer. She never expected to meet Dawson Black, or his jerk of a twin, Daemon, and loveable sister, Dee. As Bethany and Dawson grow close together, the truth of what Dawson and his siblings truly are become exposed: Aliens.

I loved Obsidian. Then again, I love anything Jennifer Armentrout writes. She writes in a way that makes it sound like we are not listening to some 30 year woman telling the story through a teenager. She actually sounds like a teen. YAY! If you haven't picked up any of her books, DO IT. You will not regret it, trust me.

I really have no complaints for this book except for the fact that it's only available as an ebook. I was lucky that my bestie Alyss let me borrow her Kindle for the afternoon so I could read it (THANKS ALYSS!!) and I loved it. I didn't think that I would love a character in this series more than Daemon. But wow. Dawson is just so much better and definitely sweeter. Too bad he disappeared -_-

I like how we were able to find out a little more details on the Luxen/Atrum aliens. In Obsidian, it's limited to what Katy knows and so she only knows what Daemon and Dee tell her. Here, even though it's third person, you still learn more because it follows Dawson and Daemon along with Bethany. It was nice to get a more deeper understanding of my favorite aliens out there.

I could tell that Armentrout had fun writing this. She had Daemon say things that totally went against his nature in the first book. Now, after reading this, I can understand Daemon's hatred towards Katy in Obsidian because he lost his younger brother due to Bethany knowing too much.

So reading this was like a stab in the heart because you know that Bethany and Dawson are going to disappear in the end. It's similar to the feeling of reading Stephenie Meyer's Eclipse then going on to read The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and knowing that Bree dies in the end. I hate it when authors do that to me. Rip out my heart why don't ya? But, the way Armentrout ended it, made me question what really did happen to my beloved new Lux characters and with the description of Onyx (Lux Novel 2) it makes me wonder. I have some new theories popping up and I am praying that they are right!

So if you are interested in reading the Lux Novels, I recommend reading Obsidian first, because you get a good explanation for everything. But then again, you could read Shadows and be completely fine because there is no major spoilers except for the fact that they are aliens...But if you read the description, you would already know that. Anyway, if you are a sucker for a hot guy on the cover (I mean, LOOK AT THAT GUY! Gorgeous) or are in love with aliens, read the Lux Novels. They are amazing and you don't have to wait a year for the next book. Only 6 months. Which is WAY better in my book ;)

Review by Calypso

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just please keep these comments polite to others.