Saturday, July 7, 2012

Review: The Goddess Test



The Goddess Test

Aimée Carter
Published by: Harlequin Teen
Released: April 19, 2011




So I am going to be lazy once again and borrow the description from Goodreads.

EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN.

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she suceeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...


Does anyone else hear the "Dun Dun Duuunnn..." after finishing that? Or is it just me?

*Sigh*

Where do I even start with this one? I am in love with Greek Mythology. I fell head over heels when I read Percy Jackson. I basically died when I read the Starcrossed Trilogy. I think The Covenant Novels ran over my heart with a tractor trailer truck. To say the least, I love modernized Greek Mythology stories, so I was expecting this one to be downright amazing.

*Crickets chirping*

The book wasn't horrible. I expect so much out of it and I found myself a little disappointed in Aimée's story. I love the idea of Hades (Sorry, I mean Henry) trying to find another wife to replace dear old Persephone after she got sick of the crazy, moody god (I have a low tolerance for Hades so please excuse my hatred of the guy). The concept of the book is amazing. Kate has to pass 7 tests in order to become immortal and be Henry's beloved prisoner, I mean wife. Pff. Who am I kidding? I mean prisoner.

**BELOW ARE SPOILERS SO DON'T READ AHEAD IF YOU HATE THOSE PESKY SPOILERS!**

The 7 tests are based off of the Seven Deadly Sins. Okay. Cool idea. I like it. Except for the fact that the Seven Deadly Sins are Christian. Am I wrong? I guess they did exsist back then when the Greeks were sitting in togas creating all of their brilliant myths. I mean, pride is a big Ancient Greek no-no. And don't even get me started on lust. Is anybody else thinking of Zeus and Aphrodite? Couldn't the test be something like, I don't know, Heracles's? I mean, why mix the two different concepts from two very different religions? But now I'm becoming WAY TOO PICKY.

Then there's the whole thing were Henry DOES NOT HAVE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST ATTRIBUTES THAT HADES IS SUPPOSE TO HAVE! -_- Okay. So the guy is broody, and moody, and is crazy obsessed with Persephone. He even has his slight anger problems. But that's about it. Nothing at all like the big, dark, terrifying god who I have come to know and deeply despise. Maybe that's why I warmed up to Henry just a little. A wee little bit. And maybe it did help melt some of my frozen heart that I have set aside just for Hades. But really? Henry a virgin? A VIRGIN? By all the Gods in Olympus alone, I did not see that one coming. Ummm...That sounds nothing like the god I have read so much about. Seriously. Okay. I will let this one slide I guess. Yeah.

Finally, Kate failed the test on lust. *Snickers* Kate, perfect Kate who was all like "I will never date any boys because my mama is dying and I have no time for guys at all". And yet she failed lust. *Starts to snicker again* Talk about irony. Okay, I'll cave. She was spiked with an aphrodisiac but still, I started laughing after I read that. It was everything she said she would never do and yet, BAM, she failed. Okay. Thanks for the laugh Aimée. I needed that. Then she fell madly in love with Henry and I was like "The guy barely talks to you, sees you, and he kidnapped you. AND YOU FELL IN LOVE WITH HIM?? WHY GIRL? WHERE ARE THOSE BRAINS YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO HAVE?" Stockholm Syndrome much?

I am done complaining now.

**END OF THOSE DARN PESKY SPOILERS**

I love Kate's relationship with her dying mother. I made me be on the verge of tears in some parts because the love she had for her mother was *sniffle* touching. But at some points, I was wondering if Kate even had a life outside of her mother. She dropped high school to take care of her, she refused to make any other friendships. Her life revolved around her mother. Granted, her mother was dying of terminal cancer and could go any second. I cannot relate to that at all, but I know I would probably go crazy if I had to watch my mother go through that without any friends or high school to ground me. (I cannot believe I just said something like that about high school. Wow.)

The thing that bugged me the most was the name change. The original names are seriously fine. I don't understand why Aimée would change perfectly good names. I was so glad that there was a guide in the back for me to flip back and forth to because otherwise, I would probably be confused with everybody. Like Ella and James. They did not have the personality of the god/goddess they were supposed to be. I guess at the end I understood why the names were all changed because it was finally explained. But it doesn't mean I had to like it.

What was the point of placing a mini love triangle between Henry, Kate, and James? I know James stands no chance at all but really? I know love triangles are seriously popular right now, but it's okay not to include them in a story. Just once I want to read a book that has NO LOVE TRIANGLES. YOU DON'T NEED TO HAVE A TRIANGLE IN YOUR STORY. Be different, keep it a line! I am done ranting about that now.

It took me about 160 pages in before I started to actually want to read more of the book. I was a little bored at first, but it did pick up in the end and I'm actually curious at how the stories will continue. I know that she wrote novellas that happen during Kate's summer stays away from Eden and that book two is out. So I may just have to pick them up eventually. I want to know how they end, even though the book drove me crazy for half of it.

So if you want a book that will drive you absolutely crazy... Haha. Just kidding. If you are a fan of modernized Greek Mythology stories, try these. They aren't my favorite stories ever, but are a pretty decent read for anyone interested in Greek myths. They are a tad bit predictable but hey, I love it when I guess everything correctly. So that's a plus I guess. But seriously, if you are curious about reading them or for some reason I cannot possibly fathom, are in love with Hades, go out to your local bookstore and pick them up. Enjoy a cute little read.

Review by Calypso

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just please keep these comments polite to others.