Saturday, July 7, 2012

Review: Curse Workers




White Cat
Red Glove
(Curse Workers #1 and 2)

Holly Black
Published by: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Released:
Book One: May 4, 2010
Book Two: April 5, 2011

So I'm so tired and busy unpacking right now that I'm just going to borrow the description from Goodreads. (Thanks Goodreads for being such a life saver!!) And if you want to read them, I recomend not reading the description for Red Glove (Curse Workers #2). Tis' a little spoiltry for all you non spoiler folks.

White Cat:

Cassel comes from a family of Curse Workers - people who have the power to change your emotions, your memories, your luck, by the slightest touch of their hands. And since curse work is illegal, they're all criminals. Many become mobsters and con artists. But not Cassel. He hasn't got magic, so he's an outsider, the striaght kid in a crooked family. You just have to ignore one small detail - he killed his best friend, Lila, three years ago.

Cassel has carefully built up a facade of normalcy, blending into the crowd. But his facade starts to crumble when he finds himself sleepwalking, propelled into the night by terrifying dreams about a white cat that wants to tell him something. He's noticing other disturbing things too, including the strange behavior of his two brothers. They are keeping secrets from him. As Cassel begins to suspect he's part of a huge con game, he must unravel his past and his memories. To find out the truth, Cassel will have to outcon the conmen.

Red Glove:

Curses and cons.
Magic and the mob.


In Cassel Sharpe's world, they go together. Cassel always thought he was an ordinary guy, until he realized his memories were being manipulated by his brothers. Now he knows the truth — he’s the most powerful curse worker around. A touch of his hand can transform anything — or anyone — into something else.

That was how Lila, the girl he loved, became a white cat. Cassel was tricked into thinking he killed her, when actually he tried to save her. Now that she’s human again, he should be overjoyed. Trouble is, Lila’s been cursed to love him, a little gift from his emotion-worker mom. And if Lila’s love is as phony as Cassel’s made-up memories, then he can’t believe anything she says or does.

When Cassel’s oldest brother is murdered, the Feds recruit Cassel to help make sense of the only clue — crime-scene images of a woman in red gloves. But the mob is after Cassel too — they know how valuable he could be to them. Cassel is going to have to stay one step ahead of both sides just to survive. But where can he turn when he can’t trust anyone — least of all, himself?

Love is a curse and the con is the only answer in a game too dangerous to lose.

Hmmm...Where do I begin??

To start off, Holly Black's books are definitely not for everyone. Someone could easily hate them or love them. I happen to love them, but I think Magnus might be on the fence with her stories. I'm not really sure how to describe it, but her tone and mood are more darker I guess. They are definitely not a light and fluffy story that are meant for you to fall head over heels for a perfect lead character.

Cassel is anything but perfect and that's why I think I love him so much. He's flawed, greedy, sly, and will do anything for a con. He grew up in a horrible home life, always thinking he was different but *SPOILER* was actually the most powerful of the whole bunch, a transformation worker. *END SPOILER*  He tries so hard to fit in with everyone, but gives up when he realizes he is just plain different. He thinks he is a murderer for killing his best friend, Lila. I feel sorry for the poor guy. Don't get me wrong, I am still a major fangirl for all of those perfect fictional guys out there *Cough, Cough. WILL HERONDALE* But it was nice to read something different for once.

The whole concept of the Curse Workers is genius to say the lease. It's like they are magicians, or supernatural, but instead of having it be one whole secret, the whole world knows about them. Most people are terrified of them, always wondering who has the 'heebiegeebies', and that's why most of them are like the Mafia or the mob, one big happy family.

This book is just so different from all the other YA books out there. It doesn't follow that stereotypical storyline like all of the other books I have read lately and that's why it has been in my mind non stop since I finished reading both of them. I cannot wait to get my hands on the last one, Black Heart and see how everything turns out.

Another reason why I love them so much: NO CLIFFHANGERS AND LOVE TRIANGLES! I would personally want to thank Holly Black for not making me read about another stupid love triangle. Thank you SO SO SO SO MUCH! Instead, the romance in this book is sort of unrequited in a way that makes me want to scream so loud for Cassel to end up with *SPOILER* Lila despite the fact that she was cursed to love him *END SPOILER* It makes me want to punch someone. And it isn't the main thing the story revolves around. It focuses more on Cassel's mistakes and how he has to go through life trying to be the good kid, trying to save his butt, trying to figure out a way to get everything he needs in order to survive. Romance plays a very little role for the most part. And the endings are satisfying. I am not panting and sobbing at the end like I am with Rick Riordan's or Cassandra Clare's. I can happily sit back and say to myself "Okay. When is Black Heart coming out in paperback?" Yup. Shocking right there.

The only complaint I have is that Red Glove wasn't as exciting as White Cat. I couldn't put book one down and it drove my mother completely insane because I was suppose to be socializing with our friends that we were visiting. Book two took a little longer because I was bored about half way through it and had to practically force myself to sit down and read it. But trust me, if the same thing happens to you, continue it and finish it. It gets better. I promise.

And this is totally off topic in a way, but I loved the little refrences to Jace "The Almighty" Lightwood. AAAWWW!! I love Cassandra Clare's books and I love how Holly Black even includes our favorite little shadowhunter as a minor character that only die hard lovers of Jace would even know about. Okay. Reel in the fangirl and get back to the Curse Workers.

So if you want something to read that's unique, dark, and takes place right on our favorite Jersey shoreline (No Snooki refrences in the book. SORRY!) I highly recomend this book if you want something that has finally left the norm for all YA books. They are so different and cool that it makes me want to go buy a pair of gloves to trot around in ;)

Review by Calypso





No comments:

Post a Comment

Just please keep these comments polite to others.