Monday, July 23, 2012

Review: Goddess Interrupted


Goddess Interrupted
Aimée Carter
Published by: Harlequin Teen
Released: March 27, 2012



*Don't read if you haven't read The Goddess Test*

Description from back of book:


KATE WINTERS has won IMMORTALITY

But if she wants a LIFE with Henry in THE UNDERWORLD, she'll have to FIGHT for it.

Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him:

The king of the Titans.

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future. 


Henry's first wife, Persephone.


I'm just going to start out and say it. I judged the first book way to harshly. And I am so so so so so sorry. I was being way too picky and after reading this book, I realized that I have become emotionally invested in these characters and the books have quickly risen to my top 10 favorites. Now I just feel so horrible.

And look at the cover. Can I just say GORGEOUS? It is one of the prettiest covers I own.

I finally understand the creativity of Kate's last name. Winters. Ah ha! She's like Persephone and has to stay with Henry during the winter. I'm surprised I didn't get this in the first book. I like it! Now I feel stupid for totally over looking that.

Like all books, there was some parts that bugged me in this one, not as many as in the first one, but some.

What the hell happened in Greece? I don't own a Kindle or Nook so I never read the ebook and I kept finding myself questioning it. The only thing you got was a brief reference and vague hints. I wished there was a little more so I can get an understanding of what really happened. Once I get my Nook for Christmas, I know I will buy it so I can finally find out.

I am still confused by the whole name switch thing. It didn't annoy me as much as it did in the first book, but I'm having a hard time connecting the gods I know to these characters. Ava isn't Aphrodite in my mind. She's Ava, a totally different being. It still bugs me, but I understand the whole reason for the name switch. They take on the names common from each empire. It explains how the same beings became the Roman gods. I like that idea. I just wish they had better names than stuff like Henry. James. Walter. I'm a big fan on exotic names so I really should judge Aimée's choice on names. Plain, boring names can be okay too.

Henry seemed like he was the one in charge. Not Walter who is supposed to be Zeus. I was assuming since he is Hades, he should be the one who was kicked out of Olympus, the one that nobody really cares about. The gods actually seem like a big happy family here, not really bickering and messy. I love how Henry was able to hold some power in his family because technically, he is the eldest one, not Zeus/Walter. Oh my gods. I am sounding like my aunt who love Hades. *Face slap*

Kate needs to realize that Henry actually does care for her. Throughout the whole story, she kept doubting his love for her. The gods had to keep telling her that he does care for her and he has a hard way of showing it. But she never really listened to them and based it on what she observed. A few times in the book, I wanted to yell "Umm...Hello? Kate? You have known him for a year. His family has known him for eons. Trust them!" Nope. She basically just ignored them. And now I can't believe I am semi sticking up for Henry. Good thing I can't see him as Hades in my mind because I can't stand Hades. At all.

Certain characters I wanted to strangle. Persephone is the most annoying, selfish, and possibly slightly crazy character out there. My gods, she annoyed the hell out of me. I wish she would go die again in Tartarus. I hated that Kate lived in her shadow. She was right about being a "hand-me-down". Cronus is just a creeper. There is no getting around that. He's plain old creepy. A lot of the gods are really pessimistic. They wanted to hang around and wait for their impending doom. Seriously? THEY ARE THE GREEK GODS! They aren't supposed to sit around and wait. They are supposed to jump right into action. I'm not talking about the original six (Hades, Zeus, Poseidon, Hestia, Hera, Demeter) I mean the 'second generation' (Ares, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Dionysus, Hephaestus). Only Ava and James would help Kate do anything productive. The rest were basically being cowards.

I am done complaining now. Let's move on to what I liked about the story.

Cronus' description is so so so cool. Even though I thought he was a creeper, he is a really cool ghostly fog. I loved that! He could just sweep in as this misty fog, cause a little havoc, and disappear. So much cooler than having a simple body.

More of actual Greek Myths were showing up into the story. We got more of the original myths in this one and I loved it. You got more of the connections between each god and Cronus shows back up. Aimée still added her little twists, but the original was still present.

I felt so bad for Calliope. I know she's supposed to be the bad guy, but I really feel so sorry for her. I blame my 8th grade paper I had to write about Hera. Ever since then, I have had a weak spot for the jealous goddess in my heart. She's the only one I actually connect to the goddess. Nobody likes her in this story. She has to run off to daddy because nobody trusts her. Granted, she tried to kill Kate a bunch of times and she did kill 11 other girls before her, but still, I feel like I should give her a hug. She has every right to be jealous. She watched the man she loved, Zeus/Walter, cheat on her and father a bunch of other children. I would be jealous and a little pissy if I was her too.

I have a lot of respect for Ingrid. She could have completely hated Kate because she failed the tests. Instead, she treated her as a friend. She could have been jealous of her love of Henry like Calliope, but she actually is happy for the both of them. If I was in her position, I would probably be a little resentful and jealous. I probably would have secretly hated Kate, but been nice to her in front of her face. Does this mean that I am a horrible person? Dear gods...

I missed Henry when he was gone. There. I said it and I'll say it again. I MISSED HENRY. I'm actually liking the guy even though he's Hades. *Starts rocking in fetal position* What has the world turned into? In my mind, I seperated the 2 characters. Henry is Henry. He's not Hades. I refuse to admit that. I cannot like Hades. I'm stubborn like that. But, Henry was starting to gain some of Hades' detached, broody, emotionless traits. I know in the first one I was complaining how Henry wasn't like Hades, but here, I really don't want him to be like Hades. I know, I cannot make up my mind. I really wanted him to sweep Kate off of her feet and to profess his undying love. He didn't really. Humph. That's what I get for wishing beforehand that he was more like Hades.

And as I am writing this review, I have One Direction's song, Gotta be You playing. This song sounds a lot like Kate and Henry's relationship. It may just be me who thinks it. I am crazy that way...Hmmmm. (Yes, I am very random sometimes....)

Please Fictional Gods above, LEAVE HENRY AND KATE ALONE. Let them be happy for once. Let them have a happily ever after. That's all I'm begging you for.

Now comes time for me to complain about the ending.

My one and only thought: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

My gods, I did not see that coming and the cliffhanger is KILLING ME. I am so glad I waited to read these books later than sooner. I only have to wait a week for the last one. And yeah, I'm going to be reading the last one. This one ended with such a cliffhanger, it left me crying. Crying. *Sniffle* I want everybody to be happy and okay.

So please go out and buy these books! Don't give up after the first one like I almost did. (Thank you Alyss for making me buy this! You deserve a big hug). You will become emotionally attached to the characters after reading this one. I feel so bad for putting so much hate on the first one. I regret it deeply. These books are really really good. I need the last one like now. The week-long wait is going to kill me. Maybe you should wait and buy all 3 as a bundle. That way, you aren't sitting here like a troll sitting in the fetal position as the week slowly creeps by.


Review by Calypso


*UPDATE*

I was assuming that the final book came out next week, The Goddess Legacy. Actually, it's a collection of short stories. And the last one doesn't come up until next April. Now I'm extremely sad
:(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just please keep these comments polite to others.