Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Review: Wings Series

Wings Series #1-3
Aprilynne Pike
Published by: HarperTeen
Released:
Book One: May 5, 2009
Book Two: May 4, 2010
Book Three: May 3, 2011


(I will be doing a future review on the last book, Destined, as soon as I pick it up at B&N)


Book Descriptions from Goodreads
(Because I tend to spoil things...)
(Also don't read descriptions for the 2nd and 3rd book if you are avoiding any spoilers)

Wings


Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful - too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.

Well that was a lousy description. Basically, Laurel discovers that she is a faery after a flower blooms on her back in the fall. With the help of her new friend David, and her old faery friend Tamani (Who is amazing by the way), she learns of her role that she had played in the faery world.

I don't think that was too spoiltry. 


Spells

"I can't just storm in and proclaim my intentions. I can't 'steal' you away. I just have to wait and hope that, someday, you'll ask," Tamani said.

"And if I don't?" Laurel said, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Then I guess I'll be waiting forever."


Although Laurel has come to accept her true identity as a faerie, she refuses to turn her back on her human life - and especially her boyfriend, David - to return to the faerie world.

But when she is summoned to Avalon, Laurel's feelings for the charismatic faerie sentry Tamani are undeniable. She is forced to make a choice - a choice that could break her heart.


Illusions

"I don't do patrols, I don't go hunting, I just stick close to you. You live your life. I'll keep you safe," Tamani said, sweeping a lock of hair from her face. "Or die trying."


Laurel hasn't seen Tamani since she begged him to let her go last year. Though her heart still aches, Laurel is confident that David was the right choice.

But just as life is returning to normal, Laurel discovers that a hidden enemy lies in wait. Once again, Laurel must turn to Tamani to protect and guide her, for the danger that now threatens Avalon is one that no faerie thought would ever be possible. And for the first time, Laurel cannot be sure that her side will prevail.

Hmmmm...Shall I start with Wings?

I read Wings a while back when HarperTeen was offering it for free online because of Destined being released the next week. I decided to read it because why not? I was expecting something silly and lighthearted, just another book about faeries. I was surprised at how much I actually enjoyed it. I was glued to my laptop, making Mom super annoyed because I was supposed to meet up with my friends later that night. I ditched them. Laurel's story had me completely hooked. It holds nothing over Holly Black's Tithe and Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely. The tone/mood in this book was so much different than all of the other faery books I have read. I like the other two, it's just whenever I was reading them, I felt like there was a veil of darkness surrounding me, if that makes any sense. This one was more light and different and I liked that. The faeries are plants, blooming the season they were sprouted (??) in. The enemies are mostly trolls, not evil, demented fey (Well...up until book 3 anyway). Aprilynne mixed together every faery story out there and placed it in one kingdom called Avalon. She even added in Camelot and King Arthur. I loved this book and quickly bought Spells on B&N the next day.

Spells kind of fell under that "Second Book Curse" that my favorite Youtube blogger, CassJayTuck, calls it (You should totally check her out! She's amazing). It introduced a love triangle. You could see it blooming in the first book, but if you had read any of my other reviews, you know I can't stand love triangles. Quoting Ron Weasley: "BLOODY HELL". Love triangles irk me and this one was the same way. I loved the story, don't get me wrong, it's just the love triangle was on the back of my mind the whole time, screaming Tamani. Tamani. Tamani. -_- *SPOILER EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT VERY MAJOR* And she didn't even choosed him. *END OF NOT VERY MAJOR SPOILER* This was probably the book that I realized I could not stand David at all. It was probably because I was not-so-secretly rooting for Tam the whole time and I found David very annoying. I had this book done in about 2 days. The ending left me crying "NOOOOOO! I HAVE NO MONEY!! WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO ME APRILYNNE PIKE???" And I had to wait about 2 months before I could get my hands on Illusions.

So I finally got my hands on Illusions while I was in South Carolina and didn't actually read it until last week. I think I was worried that Laurel would flat out ignore Tamani and not end up with him. I was wrong *Happy Dance* That pesky love triangle was made into a square with another piece added: Yuki. *SPOILERS TO COME THAT MADE ME A VERY HAPPY GIRL* And then Laurel broke up with David. YAY! He really annoyed me in this book, playing the jealous, human boyfriend. I think Laurel had every right to break up with him. Then she got jealous of Tamani having to basically seduce Yuki for information (She was in cahoots with Klea, mysterious troll hunter turned evil faery). And then Chelsea dropped that major bomb on Laurel that she still liked David. Whoa. This was turning into a love spider web. And Laurel ended up with neither of them in the end. Humph. (I'm hoping she ends up with Tamani in the end. I will be a very unhappy girl if she doesn't. Or she could pull this whole "I am secrectly in love with Aaron. Sorry boys, I'm going to be with him for the rest of my exsistance." I would be happy with that random relationship too. As long as she stays away from David. I have a feeling I'm not going to be pleased with the ending of Destined.) *END OF SPOILERS*

This book took me a while to read because about halfway through, I discovered the wonders of Doctor Who and gave up reading anything until I finished the first season at least. But I was so glad that I finished it! I was going to wait to read Destined until it came out in paperback, but the ending was like "Oh. My. Goodness. I need the last one now." It threw me a curveball. Now I'm torn between waiting until the paperback comes out or buying it hardcover. AAWW! I don't know what to do!

So if you are looking for a faery tale that isn't very dark like Tithe and Wicked Lovely and is very different from them, pick up the Wings books. You won't regret it and you will most likely fall head over heals for Tamani like I did (Unless you are Magnus, who almost always likes the other guy better than the one I like and then we fight over who's better.) Head out to your local bookstore and pick up these books! For once I start a series that has all of them out!

Review by Calypso


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just please keep these comments polite to others.