Saturday, July 21, 2012

Review: Hush, Hush (Caly's thoughts)


Hush, Hush

Becca Fitzpatrick
Published by: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Released: October 13, 2009



A SACRED OATH
A FALLEN ANGEL
A FORBIDDEN LOVE


Romance was not part of Nora Grey's the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.

Yes. I did copy and paste from Goodreads. I'm lazy okay?

So I finally got my hands on this from Magnus. While she wasn't overly thrilled with the story, I loved it. I want to read more. They kept me entertained that much.

I was confused by the parts where Nora sees something, then thinks its an illusion. They were kind of confusing and I had to convince myself that they weren't illusions. But then they were. Then they weren't. And...well...you get the point. They were finally explained later and it all clicked into place. I liked how it messed with my mind. I think an author is brilliant if they can play mind games with their readers. Magnus wasn't okay with that and I can kind of see where she is coming from.

And Patch. I'm confused why Mags didn't really like him. I LOVE HIM! He is all bad boyish, full of secrets, dark, mysterious. I love that with fictional characters. Sure, I wasn't thrilled that he kept Nora in the dark most of the time, but it was for a good reason. *SPOILERS* I mean, the guy wanted to kill her at first in order to become human. Frankly, I would keep it a secret too. I can imagine it now: "Hey babe. You're hot and all, but I really want to be human. Don't mind me stabbing this knife in your heart." Yeah. That would go over pretty well. *END SPOILERS* And then he has his secret sweet side that I love so so so much. Patch has quickly become one of my favorite fictional guys.

The characters are great. I love Patch and Vee. Vee is just the perfect best friend a girl could ever want. She lets Nora use her car whenever, goes along with Nora's rediculous plans, and is even willing to *SPOILERS* dress up as Nora when the crazy stalker lady follows them bra shopping and gets attacked. All for her best friend. *END SPOILERS* The only character that bugged me was Elliot. I really wished he was the bad guy in the end. I just hated the guy. He pretended to be all sweet and nice at first, then bam! crazy and pyscho. I expected him to break into her house and reinact the whole "Shower Scene" from Pyscho. (And I was kind of disappointed when it never happened. Oh well...) Nora drove me crazy a couple of times. During certain points in the novel, I wanted to reach in and strangle her neck. But I still love her! I had a hard time picturing her though. I have a friend with the same name, but Nora has the pysical description of me. So I had this weird hybrid of my friend Nora and myself, which was really odd. I tried drawing it but nothing really came. I can usually see characters very clearly in my mind or sometimes picture the actor portraying them. Nora is probably the only one without a picture in my mind.

The pacing was excellent. There was never a dull moment in the story. I found myself just continuing to read and pretty much ignoring everybody around me. I NEED THE REST OF THEM.

So I HIGHLY recomend this book. It was so enticing to read. I picked it up one night and next thing I knew, I was 200 pages in and it was past midnight. If you are a huge fan of Angels, try these books. The story won't leave you bored, and even though it's slightly confusing, it's not a waste of time.

Now I just need to get my hands on the rest of them :)


Review by Calypso



No comments:

Post a Comment

Just please keep these comments polite to others.